Friday, August 2, 2002
for not posting sooner. As most of you know Alex relapsed for a fifth
time on Friday, July 26th. We spent last weekend coming up with a new
plan of attack and came up with the following:
- Alex had a double lumen
broviac (hickman) inserted on Tuesday (7/30). She also had her first
weekly IT chemo treatment.
- Alex was given her first
dose of Mylotarg outpatient at Children's Seattle on Wednesday (7/31).
- Alex will receive her
second dose of Mylotarg on August 14th
- If she achieves
remission, a second Cord Blood Transplant (at Duke) will take place in
October or November. It appears that Blue Cross is required to cover
transplant expenses because of the Portability Act, which means the
six month waiting period is waived. We're still confirming that with
Blue Cross, but in the meantime we're moving forward.
The good news is that Alex
is still looking and feeling great. Her blast count has remained around
20% which is quite low (it was 70% during her last relapse) which means
her immune system is having some success fighting the leukemia. The
amazing thing is that her blast count actually went down even before she
was given the Mylotarg!
We are currently at home and will stay there unless Alex spikes a fever
while she is neutropenic. Alex spent most of today blowing bubbles for
our dog Moose and acting like a normal four year old. Other than the
bruising it's still hard to believe she has actually relapsed. It all
seems like a bad joke and we're not laughing.
Well it's past 1 am, so I better turn in. Thanks again to all of you for
3 1/2 years of love, support and prayers.
Todd, Andrea and Alex
c/o Alexandra Elaine Martini
P.O. Box 527
Lake Stevens, WA 98258