7 Principles of Decorating
Ready for a room redo? Use these pointers as a guide.
- Balance Is Everything. Use a mix of light and dark, big and small, patterned and plan for decorative harmony.
- Shop at Home. Gather up the things that you love now in your home and use them to create a favorite new space.
- Do a Quick Change. If the prospect of redoing a room seems overwhelming, start with a quick project. Success on a small scale like this will give you the confidence to tackle larger projects.
- Emphasize the Smart Choices. If you use a dramatic color, use texture and interesting furniture arrangements to make the room's decor equal to its color.
- Correct for Color. Neutral walls and window coverings may be a room's downfall. Warm up your space with a fresh soft wall color and dramatic window treatments.
- Details Make the Difference. Create a comfortable space using hand-me-downs and stray pieces from other rooms.
- Make It Your Own. Whatever you do, create a look that reflects your style and taste. From redoing a small entryway like this to moving every piece of furniture in a house, make sure you're creating something personal and comfortable for you. And when you're tired of a look, change it again!
Click here to shop BHG.com for accents, furniture and more to decorate your home!
© Copyright 2004 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.